If you are looking for a detailed guideline on how to write a blog post? This article is for you. The most effective way to let the world know about your skill, knowledge, experience and to build your own network o followers is nothing but to write a blog post.
As I have already mentioned in my earlier blog post, that a blog is a short form of “weblog” just like writing a diary of old days (you can get more about what is a blog here).
To write a good blog post it requires a passion within you about the topic. If you are writing a blog article without really being passionate about the subject or without proper knowledge about it, sooner or later you will get exhausted of content ideas.
You need to post interesting articles for your readers at a regular interval. To do that consistently you have to create a big list of blog topics beforehand. So that you never get out of content ideas.
Good subject knowledge is also very essential to provide your insight and analyze the subject effectively.
Here are some important tips which
3 most important factors to write a good blog post
Any blog has 3 most important building blocks to start with which are
- Identifying the target audience
- Choosing a niche to blog on and
- Selecting a domain
To write a good blog post, make it sustainable with any future algorithmic change in Google you have to make sure everything is correct regarding these three factors.
1. Understand your audience
The first and most important step to write a good blog is to know your audience first. Your language and tone of narration should be in accordance with your target audience.
The particular niche you are writing your blog should have a specific audience group of particular age and purpose, so always keep that factor in mind while writing your blog.
2. Choose a blogging niche
Selecting a niche is the most important step to start blogging. Select your niche wisely so that you do not get bored with writing and want to try any other topic. It may cost you valuable time and other resources dearly.
So don’t hurry to select your niche. Take some time, do proper research before finalizing your blogging niche.
Keep the following points in mind while selecting a blogging niche
- Pick a topic which is close to your heart
- The niche should be profitable and with enough market opportunity
If your starting blog with business in mind and has a plan to do affiliate marketing or marketing your own product, then during niche selection, make sure if the niche is at all profitable.
- Pick a niche which has good search volume and competition is low
As you are just starting your blog so you can not stand a competition with the authority websites or pro bloggers blogging for a considerable period of time.
So your target should be to select such a niche that has a moderate search volume with low competition. You can use the Google keyword research tool to get an idea about monthly search volume and competition of any topic.
There are many other free very useful keyword research tools available both free and paid. You can go through a compilation of such tools here.
- Should interest your audience
As you have now identified your audience, select an appropriate niche focusing the target audience; their age group and interest.
3. Selecting a blog domain
Now as the niche is finalized, its time to create a domain name. For those, who don’t have an idea about the domain name, the domain name of any website is like the address of any house.
Your website is also like a small house in the vast world of the internet. How can a visitor be able to locate your website without an address? Here the domain name of a website comes to rescue.
Points to remember while creating a domain name
- Choose a unique name reflecting the blogging niche. Carefully select it avoiding any brand name or trade name. For example, if you are blogging on yourself then using your name in the domain can be a good idea.
- Go for a .COM domain. The .COM is the most widely recognized and most trusted top level domain (TLD). this TLD is also very helpful for performing on-page SEO.
- Try to use any important keyword from your niche in the domain name.
- Keep it simple, short and easy to remember. Avoid using hyphen and complex numbers.
- A domain name is displayed as a continuous phrase without any space between words. So make sure that the domain does not bear any other combination of words.
Write a blog post about yourself
Writing about yourself is usually the best and easiest option for many people to start with blogging. This is in many ways is very similar to writing a diary of back old days.
Each and every person has some unique and special experiences in his life. You must have gone through some unforgettable experience and learned some important lessons therefrom. Sharing such experiences can help a lot of people who are also going through the same.
So, you also can start to write your blog post by writing about yourself. But here also you should follow the thumb rules as given below:
- Maintain a very friendly tone. Assume that you are talking to someone sitting beside you.
- Use your sense of humor wisely and sensibly so that it does not become funny or distract the reader.
- Use your image. It establishes the authenticity of the post and creates a link between the reader and the writer.
- Be humble, be honest.
Is there any advantage of writing a blog in English?
The answer is YES. The biggest reason being the huge reader base. You can reach the maximum number of people through your blog if it is written in English.
Another important advantage of writing a blog in English is that doing on-page SEO is easier if the article written in English.
Google algorithms, crawlers, and Google bots are developed to mainly judge the quality of website posts and pages written in English. And so are almost all the keyword research tools.
So if you write in English then you can easily do your on-page SEO and have a higher chance to rank your page high in Google search result pages.
How to write a blog post and make money?
Blogging is a great way to earn a significant amount of passive income. Earning from blogging is a passive income in a true sense i.e. your blog will generate income even when you are sleeping.
You have to just work hard for once to set up your blog, add quality content in it and monetize it to reap the benefit later.
There are lots of ways you can monetize your blog. You can read the detailed guide of how can you earn from your blog here.
Acquire the skill of writing a blog post fast
If you are fust starting your blog, then it is quite a daunting task to maintain a schedule of publishing your blogs at a regular interval. Especially if writing is not your cup of tea and typing is a big headache for you.
To make your start a little easier, here are some effective tips that can help you to acquire the skill to create a good blog in less time. Although you have to practice this to get perfect.
- First of all, select a topic with good search volume and low competition.
- Write down a kickass title that exactly reflects your blog’s purpose and catch the attention of your audience instantly.
- Do proper keyword research and write down your H1, H2, H3, and other headings as required. Use your focus keyword in the title and main headings.
- Consider each of your headings as a separate blog and target to write at least 1500 to 2000 words blog. If you have four headings in your blog then write 500 words for each of them assuming each one of them as a separate blog, thus you can easily write a blog with 2000 words.
- Don’t get overwhelmed by planning and targeting a huge number of blogs in a short time. Most of the beginner bloggers fix a quite impossible target reading and watching different blogs and youtube videos and become frustrated if fail to meet them.
- If you practice consistently and keep patience during the tough initial stage when you have to learn and also execute so many different things related to blogging.
- But once you sustain this stage, you will start to enjoy the whole freedom of creativity in the process of blogging. You get more and more confident. You will start to know your audience better, will get more involved in networking with other players in the field.
- At this point, the quality of your content gets more improved; as a consequence, your website will start to get more visitors.
Creating your blog for free
Often people hesitate to spare money to start blogging. They are hesitant because they are not sure if they can continue with this and become successful.
This feeling drives them to look for some way where they can learn the basics of blog writing and can test their blogging skills for free before spending for hosting and domain.
Fortunately, there are lots of platforms are nowadays available where you can start your blog completely free. These blogging platforms are no doubt very useful and bloggers even earning a handsome amount from Google Adsense ads on their blogs.
One such platform is Google’s Blogger. It is a multi-user blog publishing service originally developed by Pyra Labs and later acquired by Google in 2003.
Blogs in blogger are hosted by Google and use the subdomain of blogspot.com.
WordPress which is running almost 34% of all internet is another option that provides paid as well as free content management services. But you need to pay for domain and hosting.
Writing a blog: Do’s and Do not’s
Finally here are some quick tips which you should follow and a few things you should avoid while blogging.
First the Do’s:
- Remain focussed on your topic
Don’t get carried away while writing a long article and lose the relevance of your topic. Remain razor focussed on the topic.
- Try to maintain a friendly tone and write as if your reader is sitting beside you.
- Always remember that your reader will always an individual; so maintain a one to one conversion tone.
- Your content should be a really useful one. It should provide answers to all possible questions of your readers.
- Give a title that compels the user to click on it.
- Add multimedia and infographics to engage your visitors and increase their dwell time.
- Do avoid writing long paragraphs.
- Read your post thoroughly, correct all errors before clicking publish button
- Use original content and provide your insight into the subject.
- Be consistent in publishing blogs. Fix a time be it daily or weekly, maintain your schedule.
Now the Don’ts:
- Do not write complex sentences.
- Never use any copyrighted item without permission.
- Do not use any unprofessional language in your blog.
- Do not over-optimize your article. Always remember on-page SEO is necessary but ultimately your readers are human beings.
- At last, the most important one DO NOT GIVE UP. like any other business, blogging or digital marketing also needs an establishment phase. You have to keep patience and keep on creating content.
You have to learn many things when you are just starting your journey. But you also have to implement all those lessons by writing blogs.
So do not spend all your time just only learning; start actually writing too. You can not expect your first blog to be a perfect one. As you go on writing you will learn, grow and become more and more perfect.
So take the first step right now without wasting any more time.
Wish you all the best and very happy blogging 🙂